Thursday 4 November 2010

Why a Poetry Book Group

I had always liked the idea of book groups but had never really had the time to join one. This summer, however, our local Writer's Centre set up a book group for the summer called "Summer Reads" - I went along and really enjoyed it. 

Then I got to thinking why wasn't there something like that for poetry. I am a poet but I have always read poetry, right from when I was a child. It is surprising though how many people never read poetry. Many of my friends say they would like to read more but they don't know where to begin. The more I thought about it, the more appealing the idea was. Why not have a poetry book group - not just a group for writers of poetry - but for anyone who wants to read? A group where we come together and discuss the content of the poems - the seed was sown and I started the group but I soon discovered that although there was lots of material on the internet for prose reading groups, the resources for poetry groups was sparse. I decided to do some research and devise my own resource material and that is what you will find here. Feel free to use it for your own book group...

No comments:

Post a Comment